Supporting women SME owners, entrepreneurs and startups around Australia since 2018
Supercharging personal and professional growth, giving women business owners from marginal demographics the confidence and skills to take their business to new heights.
With thanks to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet’s Office for Women
Congratulations to all of the scholarship recipients for 2020
These women entrepreneurs and SME owners from marginal demographics, located across Australia, received a fully-funded program that comprises one-on-one mentoring with a business expert, business education masterclasses, and networking opportunities, to build a sustainable future for themselves, their families and their communities.
Breakdown as % is as follows:
Successful applicants will be matched with a highly experienced business owner or leader who has been specifically selected to have the greatest impact on their business needs and goals. Mentors provide a minimum 2 hours of guidance every month. These partnerships will be nurtured and supported by a member of the Rare Birds team for the duration of the program.
Business Education Masterclasses
Led by Rare Birds Founder and CEO Jo Burston, along with other successful business leaders and entrepreneurs, these 1-hour deep dive sessions will give female founders in the program the hands-on tools they need to strengthen and scale their business sustainably. Topics covered include Strategy and Planning, Sales and Marketing, Growth vs Scaling, Managing Cash Flow and Business Management.
Women in the program will form a connected and supportive community of practice on a dedicated online platform. This is where they will find the tools to set and track their goals, a library of resources, and chat rooms where they can connect to seek and provide support. They will also become part of the broader Rare Birds community of business leaders and entrepreneurs
1:1 high-impact mentoring
Ongoing on-on-one mentoring discussions with an experienced business leader guide entrepreneurs through their business challenges and goals. Monthly business workshops with experts develop critical skills and knowledge.
Women across diverse groups
Scholarships are open to 90 marginal demographic women entrepreneurs and established small business owners seeking to advance their personal and business development by way of one-on-one mentoring.
About the Scholarship
- 2 hours of one-on-one mentoring every month for 9 months with a business expert handpicked just for you
- 8 x one-hour Business Building Masterclasses
- Connection with a supportive community of like-minded business owners and leaders
- Chat Forums
- Check-in surveys to chart progress
Who can apply?
- Identify as female;
- Identify with at least one of the marginal demographics listed*;
- Have an established and viable business (min 2 years) - can be either SME owner or sole trader;
- Are an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Can commit to 2 hours per month with their mentor;
- Will participate and engage in Business Education Masterclasses (1 hour per month).
- *Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander; rural, regional or remote location; migrant or refugee; low socio-economic background; disabled.